What is Happening in Kestrels this Summer Term
This term we will be learning through two topics. ‘India’ in the first half term and ‘The seaside’ in the second half term.
During the summer term, in Maths we will be
Year 1 – • Working on number bonds and subtraction facts to 20.
· Naming 2D and 3D shapes.
· Describing movement, direction and position • Solving problems involving division, fractions and money. • Sequencing events using ‘time’ language and telling the time to the hour/half hour • Measuring and comparing mass and capacity. • Learning about the value of different coins and notes.
• Recalling and using the 2, 5 and 10 times tables • Recognising the place value of each digit in a two-digit number (tens, ones) • Recalling and using addition and subtraction facts to 20, and using number facts up to 100.
• Naming fractions 1/4 , 1/3, 3/4 and 2/4 of a length, shape or a quantity.
• Identifying and describing the properties of 2-D shapes • Measuring length, mass and capacity • Finding different combinations of coins that equal the same amounts of money. • Recognising and using symbols for pounds (£) and pence (p) • Solving problems involving multiplication, division and fractions
In our Literacy, we are focusing on improving our writing by remembering to use correct punctuation, neat handwriting and adding adjectives to make our writing more interesting. We will be using the following genres to inspire our writing:
· Indian traditional stories
· The story of the Lighthouse Keeper
· Seaside poetry
· Pirate diary entries
In our Science, we will be learning about sound, looking at Indian instruments and using our investigative skills to take part in sound based experiments. We will also think about the sources of light and circuits creating our own lighthouses.
In Geography, we will be learning about the location of India and identifying hot and cold countries in relation to the equator. We will learn facts about India and compare how it is different to the UK.
In Art and Design Technology we will be creating collage tigers and peacocks. We will create tie dye scarves to be used in our PE dance lessons and will design and make shadow puppets to use with our Indian traditional stories literacy work. During our seaside topic, we will make lighthouses, boats and clay tiles imprinted with shells.
In History, the children will learn about the life of a local historical figure Harry Paye and the seaside in Victorian times.
In PE the children will continue to enjoy their multi-skills sessions as well as dance lessons inspired by India. After half term, they will look forward to getting into the pool after half term as well as practising their athletic skills ready for sports day.
We will also continue build upon our phonics/spellings knowledge as well as taking part in guided reading and music.
Added: 20th May 2019