What is Happening in Kestrels this Spring Term
This term in Kestrels class we are learning based on the topic ‘Our Wonderful World’.
In Science this includes being able to:
• Describe weather and seasonal changes
• Observe changes across the four seasons
• Identify and compare everyday materials, including wood, metal, plastic, glass, brick, rock, paper and cardboard, and discuss how they are used.
• Find out how the shapes of solid objects made from some materials can be changed by squashing, bending, twisting and stretching
• Observe and describe how seeds and bulbs grow into mature plants
• Find out and describe how plants need water, light and a suitable temperature to grow and stay healthy.
In Literacy we will work through a series of units including
• Stories in familiar settings
• Tales from other cultures
• Poetry - Playing with language and sound
In maths we will be
• Counting to and across 100, forwards and backwards, beginning with 0 or 1, or from any given number.
• Working on number bonds and subtraction facts to 20.
• Solving problems involving multiplication and division
• Sequencing events using words like before and after, next, first, today, yesterday, tomorrow, morning, afternoon and evening.
• Measuring length, mass and capacity and time.
• Learning about the value of different coins and notes.,
Year 2 will be working on
• 2, 5 and 10 times tables
• Recognising the place value of each digit in a two-digit number (tens, ones)
• Recalling and using addition and subtraction facts to 20, and using number facts up to 100.
• Adding and subtracting two digit numbers
• Multiplication and division.
• Measuring length, mass, capacity and time.
• Finding different combinations of coins that equal the same amounts of money.
• Recognising and using symbols for pounds (£) and pence (p)
• Solving problems.
We will also build upon our phonics knowledge as well as taking part in guided reading, music, PE (ball skills and gymnastics), PHSE (Bullying) and RE. (The importance of the home in Judaism).
Added: 7th February 2018